I love to make this Classic Dorito Taco Salad recipe on warm summer nights. All the flavors of taco night everyone loves and placed on a salad and topped with Doritos! It is quick, easy, and adored by all. This simple salad is Low FODMAP and easily adapted to be gluten-free or dairy-free.
This hearty salad contains flavors of the classic taco salad recipe with the addition of Doritos. This perfect salad has taco-seasoned ground beef, sweet diced tomatoes, and creamy shredded cheese, topped with black olives on a bed of iceberg lettuce and drizzled with Homemade Western salad dressing. Yum! It is like summer in a bowl.
- Ground Beef - lean ground beef or lean ground turkey seasoned with either homemade taco seasoning or Smoke and Sanity Taco Seasoning. Make sure your taco seasoning does not have garlic or onion powder listed in the ingredients if you are following a Low FODMAP diet.
- Iceberg Lettuce - The crispness of iceberg lettuce is a great texture for this taco salad.
- Cilantro - Adding some fresh herbs brings another layer of freshness.
- Shredded Cheese - I love shredded colby jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or pepper jack cheese.
- Tomatoes - My favorite tomato for this salad is a Roma tomato. Lots of tomato flavor!
- Black Olives - I buy the already sliced olives; however, the whole pitted black olives would work too. I love olives, so either version is a win for me. If you don't like olives, this is optional.
- Doritos - I love the nacho cheese Doritos of my childhood, but if you love the Cool Ranch version, go for it. Also, the non-name brand version from Aldi works if you need a cheaper option.
- Western Salad Dressing - I love making my homemade version, which takes me minutes to make, and I know its ingredients. It is Low FODMAP for my gut and gluten-free. Plus, it completes this classic Dorito taco salad.
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions. Selected ingredients are based on current serving sizes measured by the Monash FODMAP App at the time of publishing. As always, follow your gut and modify as needed.
Hang on to your hats. This classic Dorito taco salad takes no time at all to make and is an easy recipe!
Wash and dice your Roma tomatoes. You will want to slice them in half, then take a spoon and de-seed them to get rid of most of the seeds and the liquid. Chop into small pieces and set aside.
Next, chop and wash your iceberg lettuce. I love to use my salad spinner to do this job. Dare I say it is fun!
Layer your fresh ingredients in a large bowl, starting with the lettuce. Next, add your favorite shredded cheese, tomatoes, and black olives if using, and the seasoned ground meat mixture, and top it all with the Western salad dressing.
- Dairy Free - Omit the cheese or replace it with a non-dairy option.
- Sour Cream - Add a dollop of your favorite sour cream to increase the creaminess.
- Green Onions - Slice some green onion tops to bring a wonderful onion flavor to this salad.
- Black Beans - Up the nutrition, and add a can of rinsed canned black beans. Make sure you rinse the beans to decrease the fructans for the low FODMAP diet.
- Bell Peppers - Another option to add more veggies to your salad with a great flavor.
- Tortilla Chips - Replace the Doritos with tortilla chips. Doritos are not certified gluten-free. Subbing them out for a tortilla chip or Fritos will make this officially gluten-free.
- Salad Dressing Options - Use Catalina dressing or French dressing instead of Western dressing. Use your favorite dressing. Even Mexican-ranch dressing would be a great option!
- Tomatoes - Out and about and want to assemble this salad on the go? Use grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes!
- Chicken - Replace ground beef with Mexican chicken.
Tips and Tricks to Making and Storing Taco Salad
I like to meal prep and store everything in separate containers. Then, when it is time to eat, I quickly assemble the salad. After that, you can heat the taco meat if you want. We have served it cold and warm, and either way works. It is just personal preference.
If I do not have my whole family with me for dinner and know there will be leftovers, I will have everyone assemble their own salads with their favorite toppings. If we are on the go, I will skip bowls completely and use individual bags of Doritos. This keeps the leftover salad from getting soggy and makes sure we don’t waste food. Store any leftover ingredients in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This taco salad is more of a Tex Mex salad.
This is the best taco salad recipe option for potlucks or summer BBQs. Everyone loves this salad, and it feeds many people with minimal effort. Making this salad the hero of potlucks and BBQs everywhere!
What Can I Serve Taco Salad with?
Classic Dorito Taco Salad Recipe
- Salad Spinner
Homemade Western Salad Dressing
- ¾ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup White Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup White Distilled Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Avacado Oil Any Neutral Oil
Classic Dorito Taco Salad Ingredients
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Roma Tomatoes - Seeded and Diced
- 14 oz Black Olives (Optional)
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 bag Doritos - Nacho Cheese
- 1 Recipe of Homemade Western Salad Dressing
Homemade Western Salad Dressing
- In a wide-mouth mason jar or any airtight container, measure and add all ingredients to the jar.
- Tightly seal with a cover and shake vigorously for a few minutes or until the oil is fully emulsified.
- Store covered in the refrigerator. Can be made in advance. Western salad dressing will last for up to four days.
Classic Doritio Taco Salad Recipe
- In a large skillet, fry one pound of ground beef. Once fully cooked without any pink showing, drain if necessary. Add the taco seasoning and a splash of water. Stir in taco seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the core from the head of the iceberg lettuce. Chop lettuce into bite-size pieces-place in the salad spinner. Fill the salad spinner with water. Agitate the lettuce, drain, and then spin until no water remains.
- Wash the tomatoes. Slice the Roma tomato in half. Use a spoon to remove the center of the tomatoes. This will help remove the seeds and any excess moisture.
- If using black olives, open and drain.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, then shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, black olives, and seasoned ground beef. Crunch up Doritos and add them to the top. Next, drizzle the entire salad with homemade Western dressing or the dressing of your choice.
- Add some chopped cilantro to the top of the salad. Serve right away. If making ahead, do not add the meat or the dressing to the salad until you are ready to serve.