If I could pick a perfect side dish to go with tacos, Low FODMAP Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice would be it. Seven simple ingredients balanced to perfection! The sour lime juice is paired with the distinct flavor of cilantro with a hint of salt. Perfection!
Do you prefer a whole-grain option? Make cilantro lime brown rice! It's a very similar recipe, but with different cooking times since brown rice takes longer to cook.
My first experience with cilantro lime rice was at Chipotle. I was incredibly late to discover what a burrito bowl was. Blame the fact that we live in the middle of nowhere. Quickly, I had to learn how to make this cilantro lime rice at home. If only I could somehow figure out how to recreate Chipotle's chips... another project for another day.
- Long-grain white rice
- Chicken Stock - Without onions or garlic listed in the ingredients.
- Kosher Salt
- Lime Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions. Selected ingredients are based on current serving sizes measured by the Monash FODMAP App at the time of publishing. As always, follow your gut and modify as needed.
Spray Instant Pot insert with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chicken stock and the rice. Stir.
Place the sealing ring in and put your cover on the Instant Pot.
Cook the rice for three minutes on high pressure, then wait ten minutes and release any remaining pressure. Remove the cover.
After the white rice is cooked, add the butter, salt and stir. Using the rice paddle that comes with your Instant Pot prevents the rice from getting crushed. I highly recommend using it!
Squeeze in the lime and lemon juice. Be sure you do not get any lemon seeds in the rice!
Finally, add in chopped cilantro and stir.
Substitutions For Rice
- Rice Options - If you would like to substitute white rice for jasmine rice or even basmati rice, both would be great options!
- Cilantro - If you are one of the unfortunate people who think cilantro tastes like soap, I am so sorry. I cannot even imagine eating salsa or cilantro lime rice and tasting Dawn dish soap. I have not tested, but flat-leaf parsley can be a substitute for cilantro. Try it and see!
Storing and Reheating
To Store: Once the rice has cooled you can place the leftovers in an air-tight container.
To Reheat: Reheat the cilantro lime rice with an ice cube placed in the center and covered. The ice cube will create some steam and help bring the rice back to life. My husband also adds butter when he reheats. I prefer to not take in any additional calories. To each their own!
To Freeze: Place chilled leftovers in a freezer friendly container. Rice will keep in the freezer up to four months.
What can I serve with Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice?
Yes. Cilantro and lime both have very low FODMAPs. The sneaky place where onions and garlic hideout is in the chicken stock. Double-check the ingredients to be sure you can tolerate the amount in the stock or use water.
Cilantro will not tolerate heat well. It should be added to the rice mixture after the rice is cooked and right before you serve it.
Additional Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 4 cups Long-grain White Rice
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 teaspoons Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Tablespoons Butter - Salted
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro - or more
- Spray the Instant Pot insert with cooking spray.
- To the insert add the chicken stock and the rice.
- Cook the white rice for 3 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, wait ten minutes, then do a quick release the pressure.
- To the cooked rice, add the butter, salt lemon, and lime juice. Stir until combined.
- Just before serving add in the chopped cilantro and stir.