Quick, cheesy, and taco flavored, Taco Pie with Tortillas checks all the boxes for a quick and easy dinner! The taco pie filling resembles a delicious dip. Creamy, cheesy, and flavored with all your favorite taco flavors. Bonus it is gluten-free and low FODMAP!
Do you ever stare at a leftover bag of corn tortillas after serving carnitas or chicken fajitas and wonder what you will do with the remaining twenty million tortillas? Taco pie with tortillas is a perfect way to use up those leftovers!
Before I had to adjust my diet to be gluten-free and low fodmap, I would make a taco pie crust out of a tube of crescent rolls. I had to rethink the crust and the taco seasoning. Both ingredients had things I could no longer eat. But those leftover corn tortillas would work as a crust if you layer them to resemble a crust. And taco seasoning can either be mixed with safe spices or purchased a safe version from Smoke and Sanity.
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Corn Tortillas - Yellow or White Corn will work.
- Shredded Cheese - use your favorite! Even mozzarella works.
- Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions. Selected ingredients are based on current serving sizes measured by the Monash FODMAP App at the time of publishing. As always, follow your gut and modify as needed.
Char the corn tortillas. No need to start them on fire. Have them pick up a little color and bubble up so they are no longer raw.
After frying the ground beef, add the taco seasoning and stir until combined.
Turn off the heat and add the sour cream. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Add the shredded cheese to the meat mixture.
Cut the charred corn tortillas in half.
Arrange the corn tortillas to fully cover the pie plate to form a crust.
Add the taco meat mixture to the corn tortilla crust. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
Ingredient Swap Options
- Tortilla Options - If you do not have leftover corn tortillas you can use flour tortillas or even crescent rolls from the tube. These options would make this taco pie recipe no longer gluten-free.
- Sour Cream - If you do not have sour cream plain Greek yogurt would be a great substitute.
Taco Pie Variations
- Ground Turkey - If you want to lighten up this taco pie recipe, feel free to swap out the ground beef with ground turkey.
- Make it Spicy - Add chopped pickled jalapenos to the top.
- Cheese - Try different versions of cheese. Pepperjack cheese would be a great option.
Storing and Reheating
To Store: Store any leftovers, we never have any, in an airtight container.
To Reheat: The tortillas will not be as crispy as when the taco pie was first taken out of the oven. Eat any leftovers in four days. Microwave any leftovers on a heat-safe plate.
To Freeze: I would not recommend freezing any leftovers.
Make them into a pie crust! Perfect for Taco Pie with Tortillas!
Besides corn tortillas, flour tortillas, crescent rolls, and even Doritos would be great.
Topping options include shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, cheesy queso, sliced black olives, diced avocadoes, or pickled jalapenos! You can add more cheese, top it off with your favorite salsa or eat it plain.
What can I serve with Taco Pie?
In order to stretch the taco pie and complete the meal, add a few sides. Cilantro lime rice is a great option. Also, restaurant-style salsa or corn salsa with tortilla chips are great too. Top it with some lazy guac or low FODMAP guacamole and Mexican-ranch dressing or lime crema. Add some refried beans or black beans as a side to up your protein. If you want to add more veggies to this meal, a quick side salad or microwave a bag of frozen corn. Need another pie for pie day? Add an easy crustless blueberry pie or a crustless strawberry pie! Both gluten free!
Additional Mexican Recipes
Taco Pie with Tortillas
- Nine-inch Pie Plate
Taco Pie Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avacados
- Sliced Black Olives
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Fry ground beef until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat. Add the sour cream and stir until combined. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and mix. Set aside.
- Char the corn tortillas until edges become charred and the insides bubble.
- Cut the corn tortillas in half.
- Spray the pie plate with cooking spray. Place the corn tortillas on the pie plate so both the bottom and the sides are covered.
- Pour the meat mixture over the corn tortillas. Add the remaining shredded cheese on top of the taco pie.
- Place in a 350°F oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cut a slice and top with your favorite toppings!