Level up your ordinary burgers beyond ketchup and mustard to include a sauce that makes burger night feel more special. Make the best smash burger secret special sauce recipe for your next smash burger night! This special sauce is mayo based and includes a bit of ketchup, chopped dill pickles, Worcestershire sauce, chopped green onion tops, and the very secret ingredient - horseradish sauce. Combine it all, adding an amazing flavor to your smash burger patties.
Blame it on the jingle every 80’s kid can single still to this day but couldn’t tell you what they ate for dinner last night…everyone now - “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." Mcdonald's set us up to require our burgers to have a special sauce AND two-all beef patties. And if you need a special sauce, this sauce is the one! With ingredients, you can pronounce and make it in your kitchen! Cheers from burger lovers everywhere!
- Mayo - I love the Avocado oil mayo. Creates the creamy base of the sauce.
- Ketchup - I use Simply Heinz Ketchup. It has no High Fructose Corn Syrup.
- Worcestershire Sauce - Packs a ton of flavor in that one teaspoon.
- Horseradish - Optional, but adds a wonderful spice and flavor.
- Smoked Paprika - Adds beautiful color and smokiness to the sauce.
- Green Onion Tops- These have a wonderful onion flavor without the FODMAPs.
- Dill Pickles - Chop them up. They add a bit of crunch and an excellent dill flavor.
- Kosher Salt - Just a bit of salt to combine all the flavors.
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions. Selected ingredients are based on current serving sizes measured by the Monash FODMAP App at the time of publishing. As always, follow your gut and modify as needed.Jump to Recipe
Chop up the dill pickles and green onion tops.
In a small bowl, add the mayo, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, paprika, green onions, pickles, and salt. Mix until combined.
Add the smash sauce to the bottom bun. Top with a burger patty or two. Even better if a crispy patty is topped with a slice of American cheese. Top with your favorite burger toppings and then the top bun.
- Relish - Use sweet pickle relish instead of chopped dill pickles.
- Lemon Juice - Swap in the lemon juice for the Worcestershire sauce.
- Smooth Sauce - If you want a less rustic-looking sauce, place the sauce in a blender or food processor to puree the green onions and pickles.
- Add Dijon Mustard or yellow mustard to the delicious sauce.
- Add Pickle Juice or pickle brine to thin out the sauce to make it more pourable.
- Add Spice - add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few drops of hot sauce for some spice.
Keep this smash burger secret special sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I would not recommend freezing it. It would be better to make another batch if you need it later.
Serve homemade smash burger sauce on top of the smash burgers. It is the best burger sauce to drip over the crisp edges of the thin patty piled on top of hamburger buns.
Use this secret sauce as a dipping sauce for french fries, potato chips, or your favorite veggies. Cut-up bell peppers and carrot sticks would be delicious. Include this smash burger sauce alongside your favorite toppings for burgers and potato salad.
A smash burger is a ground beef ball that is smashed with a burger press on a hot cooking surface, such as a cast iron pan or a very hot griddle like a Blackstone. The thin burger patty is quickly cooked and has crispy edges created by a good smash. The thin patty has a juicy interior and can be topped with a slice of cheese. Unlike a traditional burger, a smash burger is all about the smashing process and fast cooking technique. Either option is a perfect way to enjoy a delicious burger!
Yes! This special sauce will taste amazing on traditional thick burgers, chicken breast sandwiches, and of course, smash burgers! Even by the spoonful, if you want. We won't judge.
There are many. A popular one is the Shake Shack, In and Out, and many burger joints nationwide. People have strong opinions about which place has the best. This amazing sauce is sometimes referred to as fry sauce. Whatever you call it, it is delicious!
Store the smash burger sauce in the refrigerator and take it out when ready to top the perfect smash burgers. I would toss out any leftover sauce at room temperature for over two hours for the best results.
Best Smash Burger Secret Special Sauce Recipe
- Small Bowl
- Small Spatula
- ½ cup Mayo
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ cup Green Onion Tops
- 1 Tablespoon Dill Pickles - Chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Horseradish Sauce
- In a small bowl, add the mayo, ketchup, Worcestershire, paprika, green onions, pickles, salt, and horseradish sauce. Mix until combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The sauce will last for 3-4 days.