Puppy Chow, aka Muddy Buddies, is like homemade candy requiring minimal ingredients and time. Nutella Puppy Chow Recipe without peanut butter is made with a hazelnut spread called Nutella! It has rice Chex cereal, two kinds of chocolate, and powdered sugar! So simple and yet so delicious. The original recipe calls for peanut butter, but I wanted to try Nutella for a different spin. It has this rich hazelnut creaminess, like peanut butter but with a European flair.
It is a no bake dessert, named after dog food ironically, and one of the classic recipes from my childhood. Adding Nutella instead of peanut butter creates a richer-tasting puppy chow - worth trying.
Nutella puppy chow recipe without peanut butter is the perfect nut-free snack for vacation. Pounds of puppy chow has been consumed on road trips, boats, and around campfires - it is a scientific fact, folks.
- Nutella - Buy the biggest container of Nutella you can find. Once you try it, you will want to add it to everything - fruit, toast, cookies, marshmallows - you have been warned.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Amplify that chocolate flavor.
- Butter - Salted butter is best. Room temperature butter melts the easiest.
- Vanilla Extract - Just another flavor added to the melted chocolate.
- Rice Chex - If you are gluten free be sure to check the ingredients. Not all brands are gluten free.
- Powder Sugar - Covers the chocolate-coated cereal, not only to look pretty, but it keeps the chocolate off your hands!
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions. Selected ingredients are based on current serving sizes measured by the Monash FODMAP App at the time of publishing. As always, follow your gut and modify as needed.Jump to Recipe
Find a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the Nutella, chocolate chips, and butter to the bowl.
Microwave it for 30-second intervals. Stirring the mixture each time, until all the chocolate chips are melted.
Add the vanilla extract after the chocolate is melted.
Next, measure out the rice Chex and add it to the chocolate mixture. Gently stir the rice Chex into the chocolate. Some breakage is going to happen. Work quickly because the chocolate mixture will cool fast.
Once the chocolate is covering the rice Chex add the powdered sugar.
Add the cover, make sure it is tight, and shake the bowl. Shake for a solid thirty seconds, and then remove the cover. Keep doing this until the powder sugar is combined.
Allow the puppy chow to cool on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet, and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and will last for up to seven days. It will also freeze well and will last up to four months.
- Rice Chex - If you don’t have Rice Chex or want to use something else, try Corn Chex or Crispix. Popcorn would also be delicious and adds more fiber to your diet!
- Vanilla - Want to add a different extract? Try almond extract or mint extract!
- Chocolate Chips - Try dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips. Even white chocolate chips would be delicious.
- Nut Butters - Try almond butter or cashew butter.
- Nut Allergies - Try using sunflower seed butter.
- Dairy Free - Create a vegan puppy chow recipe with coconut oil or vegan butter. Use dairy-free chocolate chips like the Enjoy brand.
Keep your Nutella puppy chow in an airtight container or a large zip top bag. I have poured half cup servings into smaller zip top plastic bags for individual servings on the go. Homemade puppy chow also keeps beautifully in the freezer. It is a great hiding place as well. Keep it in a freezer-friendly container and hide it in an empty frozen veggie bag. Nobody will ever know.
Need a holiday treat? Something inexpensive to share at holiday parties? Next holiday season, create a Christmas puppy chow, otherwise known as reindeer chow. Add some red and green M&M’s and chopped-up candy canes. It is delicious, colorful, and a sweet treat everyone enjoys!
Need snacks or party appetizers? Serve Nutella puppy chow alongside hummus with all your favorite veggies. Make homemade lemonade for everyone to enjoy. If you are serving adults, a round of blueberry vodka lemonade drinks would be perfect!
No, listed in the ingredients is malted barley, which is not gluten free.
Additional Low FODMAP Snacks
Nutella Puppy Chow Recipe
- Large Bowl
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 ¼ cup Nutella
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Powder Sugar
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add Nutella, chocolate chips, and butter. Microwave the chocolate mixture for 30-second intervals. Stirring each time. Until all the chocolate chips are melted.
- In a big bowl, measure out the rice Chex. Add the Rice chex to the chocolate mixture.
- Gently stir the Rice chex into the chocolate. Move fast because once the chocolate mixture starts to cool, it is harder to stir into the cereal mixture. Once the chocolate is covering the Rice Chex, add the powdered sugar.
- Add the cover, make sure it is tight, and shake the bowl. Shake for a solid thirty seconds, and then remove the cover. If you get a powdered sugar cloud, give the puppy chow a good stir and shake it again. Keep doing this until the powder sugar is combined. If your bowl does not have a cover, use a large ziploc bag and break it into two batches.
- Allow puppy chow to cool on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Store it in a large airtight container.