Green beans coated in a sauce made out of butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce create a stellar side dish. Glazed sweet and salty green beans pair perfectly with a grilled steak, topped with mushrooms with a buttered baked potato.
Side dishes. Meal planning is an elusive box that seems complicated to check sometimes. Sure, I will 100% buy multiple bags of frozen veggies, pop one into the microwave, and call it done. Most of the time, that works just fine. But these glazed sweet, salty green beans are the answer for those meals when you want just a little bit more!
Green Bean Ingredients
- Fine Green Beans - I love the skinny green beans.
- Brown Sugar - The sweet molasses component of the sauce.
- Butter - Everything is better with butter, period.
- Soy Sauce - The magic ingredient. It adds a bit of umami salty flavor.
- Salt and Pepper - Adjust to your taste buds.
See the recipe card for the exact measurements and complete instructions.
In a saucepan, melt the butter. At the same time, toss your frozen green beans in the microwave.
Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir.
Once the frozen cooked beans are cooked add them to the sauce. Stir the green beans until coated. Cook on low until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Green Bean Options - Have fresh green beans from the garden? Steam them and add them to the sauce. Don't have fine green beans and only have cut green beans, go ahead and use them too!
- Soy Sauce - I used a gluten-free soy sauce to make these green beans gluten-free, but if you don't have soy sauce, feel free to substitute it with tamari or coconut aminos. Anything that has an umami flavor.
It might be easier to say what doesn't go with this green bean side dish. A perfectly grilled piece of steak, pork chops, ham steaks, or BBQ bacon chicken. I also may just make this and eat the whole bowl for lunch. These green beans are so good. Other side dish options besides green beans, try green bean casserole, mashed potatoes or corn pudding! So many options!
Additional Side Dishes
Glazed Sweet and Salty Green Beans
- Small Saucepan
- 12 ounces Frozen Fine Green Beans
- 2 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce (Gluten Free)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Cook the green beans according to the package directions.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted add the brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Once the green beans are cooked, add them to the sauce and stir. Cook on low for ten minutes. Serve immediatly.