I love a warm, comforting soup, that also has a bit of a kick to it. White Chicken Chili Without Beans has shredded chicken, so many yummy spices, green chiles, corn, and just a touch of milk thickened with masa harina (corn flour). It is gluten-free and low FODMAP! It is also super quick, using the Instant Pot!
Now this version of white chicken chili has some spice, but by no means would I say it is spicy. It is the Minnesota spicy version, just enough to make your nose run.
This chili comes together so quickly with the help of the instant pot. The spices coating the chicken make your house smell so good! If you do not have an instant pot, a slow cooker will work, it just will take four to six hours versus one hour.
- Chicken Broth
- Ground Coriander
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Masa Harina (Corn Flour)
- Green Chiles
- Frozen Corn
- Pepperjack Cheese
It looks like a ton of ingredients, but over half of the list is the spice mix. Don't let that list steer you away from trying this white chicken chili!Jump to Recipe
How To Make White Chicken Chili In The Instant Pot
Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Add the chicken to the instant pot and sprinkle the spice mix over each piece of chicken.
Add the remaining chicken, spices, and the chicken broth. Then cook the chicken in the instant pot.
Once the chicken is cooked, use a hand mixer to shred the chicken. Be advised that boiling liquid may splash on your hands, but the convenience of shredding your chicken in minutes makes it all worth it!
If you prefer not to get splashed with somewhat boiling liquid, feel free to remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks. Your choice, no judgment here.
Add the masa harnia to the milk and stir until thoroughly combined. It will thicken up beautifully.
Add the drained green chiles, frozen corn, and masa harnia mixture to the Instant Pot. Mix and allow it to cook until the corn is warmed through. Add ½ cup of shredded pepperjack cheese. Stir in and melt.
Add-ins for White Chicken Chili
- White Rice - I love making a batch of white rice alongside the white chicken chili. Add a scoop of rice and pour the soup over it.
- Sour Cream - Create a creamy white chicken chili with a dollop of sour cream.
- Cheese - Add more pepperjack cheese, cheddar cheese, or even Monterey jack cheese.
- Limes - Squeeze in the juice of a lime wedge.
- Jalapenos - For more spice and heat!
- Cilantro - The fresh herb adds such a great flavor and freshness to the creamy soup.
- Corn Tortillas - Char the corn tortillas and dip them into your soup, like a cracker but gluten-free version! If you do not have a gas flame, throw them into a cast iron pan to heat and cook the tortillas.
- Taco Chips - I love eating White Chicken Chili Without Beans as a dip. I add so much cheese, sour cream, and rice that it turns into a dip more than a soup. So, so good!
Slow Cooker Option: If you do not have an Instant Pot or want to make it in your slow cooker, it is just as easy. Place the chicken breasts, all the spices, chicken broth, and green chilis in a slow cooker. It will take four to six hours to cook in the slow cooker.
Beans: You want to like beans, but the texture just doesn't work for you or doesn't work for your kids. Puree the white beans with a food processor or immersion blender. Then add the pureed beans to the chili. It will thicken the chili and add nutrition and fiber without the bean texture. Sneaky, sneaky! This works for all chilis, not just white chicken chili.
How long will white chicken chili last?
It will last in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you want to freeze it, do it before you add any dairy. Freezing dairy is not a great plan unless it is ice cream. It will freeze, but an ingredient like sour cream will separate and look not very pretty when reheated. Adding the sour cream and cheese after you thaw and reheat is best.
Rotisserie chicken is a busy mom's gift from our ancestors! But, can you even imagine what the pioneer women of the past would think of us grabbing an already fully cooked chicken - jealously for days...YEARS!
In their honor, grab one of those already-cooked chickens on your way out of Kwik Trip or Costco, whatever errands life requires. Pull it apart and add the shredded chicken to the soup at the point where the chicken is already cooked. Then, add the spices to your cooked chicken.
If the chili is still watery. Add more masa harina dissolved in milk. The corn flour will help thicken the chili. Also, some more cooking time to allow the flavors to meld and some of the liquid to evaporate.
What To Serve With White Chicken Chili?
White Chicken Chili Without Beans
- 6 Quart Instant Pot
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black pepper
- 4 Chicken Breasts (1-2 pounds total)
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Milk (Not Skim)
- 2 Tablespoons Masa Harina
- 2 4oz. Cans Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 10oz. Frozen Corn
- ½ cup Pepperjack Cheese
- Pepperjack Cheese
- Diced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Corn Tortillas
- Taco Chips
- Fresh Cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper together.
- In your pressure cooker, add the chicken breasts in a single layer. Sprinkle half the season mix over the chicken. Add the remaining chicken breasts and sprinkle the remaining spices.
- Add the chicken broth over the chicken breasts.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing and set to 6 minutes. Allow the chicken to naturally release the pressure. Once the pin drops shred the chicken with a hand mixer.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and masa harina until smooth.
- Switch the Instant Pot to saute and add the masa and milk mixture, green chilis, and the frozen corn. Stir in ½ cup pepperjack cheese. Let the chili cook until the corn is cooked through and the chili has thickened. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Top the white chicken chili with your favorite toppings and dig in!